Peter Waldron British, b. 1941
Born in Swindon, Peter Waldron returned there in 2017 for a solo exhibition at the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery. After training as a mechanical engineer he attended Swindon School of Art before going on to Chelsea School of Art, followed by a Painting Fellowship at Gloucestershire College of Art.
In 1969 Richard Hamilton was instrumental in getting him his first solo show, which took place at Nottingham University. From 1967 to 1969 he was studio assistant to Patrick Caulfield. He has had solo exhibitions at the Serpentine Gallery and The Museum of Modern Art, Oxford. His work was also shown at The Royal Academy’s Big Paintings exhibition and at the Whitworth in Manchester.
In 1975 he first visited Crete where he later established his studio. Since then Waldron has divided his time between studios in Hastings and Crete. The Cretan paintings made during this period are a response to the light, colour, warmth, drama and sheer magic of the landscape, language and its people.
BROWN FANG STUDY F, 2020
DOUBLE FANG, 2020
DOUBLE STUDY, 2020
FANG STUDY A, 2020
FANG STUDY C, 2020
FANG STUDY D, 2020
Green Fang Study B, 2020
PURPLE FANG STUDY G, 2020
DANCING FANS, 2019/20
FANG HEAD, 2019/20
TRIPLE FANS PAINTING, 2019/20
UNTITLED 1, 2019/20
UNTITLED 2, 2019/20
UNTITLED 3, 2019/20
Fang 10, 2019
Fang Dance, 2019
FANG SERIES MINOAN RED, 2019
Mossi, 3, 2019
STUDY FOR FANG, 2019
TOWARDS FANG, 2019
DIKTE 1, 2018
Untitled "Zeus Series", 2017
SARAKINA, ‘ZEUS SERIES’, 2015
Untitled 'Zeus Series', 2015
Milatos, 'Zeus Series'
- 1956-1962 Trained as a Mechanical Engineer.
- 1962-1964 Foundation Studies at Swindon School of Art.
- 1964-1967 Chelsea School of Art - Diploma in Art and Design.
- 1967-1968 Chelsea School of Art - Post Graduate/Higher Diploma in Painting.
- 1967-1969 Studio assistant to Patrick Caulfield.
- 1968-1969 Awarded Fellowship in Painting - Gloucestershire College of Art.
- 1975 First visited Crete
- 1989 Established studio in Milatos, Crete
- 1969 University of Nottingham.
- 1969 Serpentine Gallery - London.
- 1972 Museum of Modern Art - Oxford.
- 1993 Julian Hartnoll Gallery - London.
- 2001 Trinity Arts Centre - Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
- 2001 Stables Art Gallery - Old Town, Hastings.
- 2003 Stratton Gallery - Old Town, Hastings.
- 2008 Municipal Gallery - Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece.
- 2010 F-ISH Gallery - Hastings.
- 2013 Anthony Hepworth Fine Art Dealers, Bath (Selected Works from a Cretan Studio).
- 2015 Museum of Visual Arts, Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
- 2017 Swindon Museum and Art Gallery
- 2018 Hastings Museum and Art Gallery
- 2019 Candida Stevens Gallery
Selected Group Exhibitions include
Young Contemporaries – London
Exhibition 29 - Museum of Modern Art Oxford
Big Paintings for Public Places - Royal Academy London
Younger Contemporary Painters - London and USA
SPACE at Joshua Taylor Gallery – Cambridge
Art Spectrum – London
Big Paintings Exhibition - Whitworth Gallery Manchester
SPACE in Aberdeen
‘Drawing’ Museum of Modern Art Oxford
‘Drawʼ Exhibition - Gardner Centre University of Sussex
Two Dimensions - Swedish Touring Exhibition
Coastlines - Towner Art Gallery Eastbourne
London Group - RCA Galleries London
Contemporary Arts Fair - RCA Galleries London
ART 94 - London Contemporary Art Fair
Painting Exhibition - Hastings Museum and Art Gallery
Museum of Visual Arts Heraklion. Crete.
Baker Mamonova Gallery St Leonards on Sea
Festival 15 – Arts Forum Hastings
Brownsword Hepworth Gallery London
- 1991 Contemporary Arts Fair - RCA Galleries London.
- 1994 ART 94 - London Contemporary Art Fair.
- 2011 20/21 British Art Fair, Royal College of Art, London.
- 2012-17, 19 The London Art Fair, Business Design Centre, Islington, London.
- 2013, 14 The Decorative Antiques & Textiles Fair, Battersea, London.
The Arts Council of Great Britain
Private collection - Birkenhead
Ivor Braka - London
Douw Collection - Breda, Holland, Netherlands
Julian Hartnoll Gallery - London
Municipal Gallery Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece
Museum of Visual Arts Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Zoe Designs - Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece
Mr & Mrs Pieter Pappot - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Nottingham University Collection
Swindon Museum & Art Gallery
Hastings Museum & Art Gallery 2020
PETER WALDRON & ANDREW STONYER: RECENT WORK4 - 30 Mar 2020An exhibition of Recent Work by Peter Waldron and Andrew Stonyer. Peter Waldron's abstract paintings are displayed alongside Sculpture by Andrew Stonyer.
AN ECLECTIC EYE19 Nov - 18 Dec 2019Modern British & Contemporary Paintings, Tribal Art, and an exhibition of Sculpture, Small Paintings & Studies by Peter Seal.
PAINTING AND SCULPTURE BY GALLERY ARTISTS29 Jan - 20 Feb 2019