Wilhelmina Barns-Graham British, 1912-2004
Wilhelmina Barns-Graham CBE (8 June 1912 – 26 January 2004) was one of the foremost British abstract artists, a member of the influential Penwith Society of Arts.
- 1912 Born in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland.
- 1932-37 Attended Edinburgh College of Art (tutored by William Gillies and David Foggie).
- 1940 Awarded an Andrew Grant post-graduate Travelling Scholarship and worked in St Ives, Cornwall which with St Andrews remained her base.
- 1942 Became a member of Newlyn Society of Artists where she showed annually until 1949.
- 1942-49 Exhibited annually at the St Ives Society of Artists.
- 1948 First visited Switzerland.
- 1949 Founder-member of the Penwith Society. Met and became friends with Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth and Naum Garbo having already met Margaret Mellis in Edinburgh.
- 1952 Attended Penzance School of Art to learn etching and engraving.
- 1955-56 Took up an Italian Government Travelling Scholarship.
- 1956-57 Taught at Leeds School of Art.
- 1961-63 Worked at her studio in London before returning to St Ives.
- 1984-85 Worked in Orkney.
- 1989-89 Worked in Lanzarote.
- 1992 Honorary Doctorate, University of St Andrews.
- 1993 Tate St Ives - Work in changing collection display and throughout following years.
- 2001 Awarded CBE for Services to Art.
Solo exhibitions include:
- 1947, 49 Downings Bookshop, St Ives.
- 1956 The Scottish Gallery: ‘Drawings from Sicily, Italy and S. W. Cornwall’.
- 1957 City Art Gallery, Wakefield ‘Modern Art in Yorkshire’.
- 1960 The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh ‘Recent Gouaches & Spanish Drawings’.
- 1981 The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh.
- LYC Museum & Art Gallery, Cumbria.
- 1984 The Pier Arts Centre, Orkney.
- 1988 Ancrum Gallery, Roxburghshire.
- 1992-93 William Jackson Gallery - exhibition toured to: Milngavie, Kendall, Exeter, Dundee and Wakefield.
- 1996 The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh.
- 1996-97 The Sottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh.
- 1999-2000 Tate Gallery St Ives ‘Wilhelmina Barns-Graham: An Enduring Image’.
- 2002-04 ‘W. Barns-Graham: Painting as a celebration’ toured by the Crawford Arts Centre, St Andrews to: Aberdeen, Truro, Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Kingston upon Hull, Milngavie, and Hawick.
Group exhibitions include:
- 1941, 1944 Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh.
- 1942-49 Newlyn Society of Artists.
- St Ives Society of Artists.
- Penwith Society of Arts, St Ives.
- 1958, 1960 Waddington Galleries, London.
- 1959 The John Moores Liverpool Exhibition.
- 1960 City Art Gallery, Plymouth ‘Painters from Cornwall’.
- Arts Council touring ‘Penwith Society of Arts 10th Anniversary Exhibition’.
- 1962 Arnolfini, Bristol ‘West Penwith Painters & Sculptors’.
- 1981-83 Scottish Arts Council touring ‘Contemporary Art from Scotland’.
- 1985 Tate Gallery, London ‘St Ives 1939-64’.
- From 1986 Regular exhibitor at Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh.
- 1987-89 South Bank Centre - Arts Council touring ‘The Experience of Landscape: paintings, drawings and photographs from the Arts Council of Great Britain Collection’.
- 1998-2004 Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh
- Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour, Edinburgh.