Phil Griffin British
Phil Griffin graduated from ‘Ballet Rambert’ in London as a dancer and choreographer.
As head of creative at MCA in London Phil commissioned art films music videos & photo shoots & TV performances for both UK & International artists such as C&C Music Factory, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, Mariah Carey, Destiny’s Child & Bobby Brown.
Extending his film work into photography, Phil has created visual campaigns & portraits that include Amy Winehouse Adele, Kevin Spacey, Sigourney Weaver, Sir Paul McCartney, Prince, John Bon Jovi, Rhianna, Annie Lennox, Naomi Cambell, Jay Z & Helen Mirren.
- 1983 Thamesdown Studios, Foundation Course in Dance.
- 1984-87 Diploma in Dance, Ballet Rambert.
- 1987 Diploma in Contemporary Dance, London School Of Contemporary Dance.
- 1997-1999 Creative Director, MCA Records. Commissioned art films, music videos, photoshoots, and television performances for artists such as Mariah Carey, Destiny’s Child, Bobby Brown, C&C Music Factory, Ocean Colour Scene and Black Grape.
- 1999 Diana Ross.
- 2006 Amy Winehouse, ‘Back to Black’.
- 2007 Adele, ‘19’.
- 2007 Sir Paul McCartney, ‘Ever Present Past’.
- 2007 Prince, ‘21 Nights in London’.
- 2010 Sigourney Weaver, ‘Political Animals’.
- 2008-11 Jon Bon Jovi, ‘When We Were Beautiful’. Accompanied Bon Jovi on his international tour to direct the paired documentary feature and Madison Square Garden Concert DVD ‘When We Were Beautiful’. The film premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and was shown on Showtime Network. This was accompanied by a the Harper Colllins’ publication of ‘Bon Jovi: Conversations with Phil Griffin’ which was the first music book to hit the New York Times’ top twenty bestseller list. Continue to collaborate with Jon Bon Jovi Soul foundation.
- 2013 Rihanna, ‘Half of Me’.
- 2013 Annie Lennox.
- 2014 Naomi Campbell, ‘The Face TV’.
- 2012 YouTube, Jay-Z & SXSW Concert Collaboration. Filmed Amex Live’s ‘Concert Special’ which featured Jay-Z at South by South West, followed by twenty minutes of ‘Half of Me’ – a film which explores Rihanna’s delicate relationship with her fans. Ten million YouTube viewers tuned in to watch the programme.
- 2007 MTV documentary ‘For The Record’ Britney Spears. Directed and produced ‘Britney: For the Record’ which aired in over thirty-five countries to an audience of 100 million.
Work in collections
Antwerp City Collection
Elton John Collection
Denk Gallery Private Collection
Keteleer Gallery Private Collection
Troubleyn Trust National Collection Belgium
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2016 ‘Surrender’, Keteleer Gallery, Antwerp.
- 2017 ‘Works From Theatre’, Denk Gallery, Los Angeles.
- 2018 ‘Dark Matter’, Keteleer Gallery, Antwerp.
- 2018 ‘Knights & Warriors’, Gallerie Carles Tache, Barcelona.
- 2018 ‘Unseen Icons by Phil Griffin: 25 Years in Film & Photography’, Brownsword Hepworth, London.
Selected group exhibitions
- 2017 ‘The Artist / Knight’, Gaasbeek Castle, Belgium.
- 2012 Macklemore & Lewis, ‘I Won’t Stand For It’ campaign.
- 2013 ‘Roots2Change’ – a film with Jamal Edwards & Prince Charles for SBTV & Clarence House to promote and encourage self-belief in young people.
- 2013 Collaborated with Jon Bon Jovi, Mary J. Blige, and Sir Paul McCartney on the Hurricane Sandy Relief campaign.
- 2014 Albert Kennedy Trust Interview & Music Film to raise awareness of Purple Door Project for young LGBTQ+ young people experiencing housing and trauma issues.
- 2016 ‘I AM YOU’ film & ambassadorship for The Swedish Foundation for Refugees.
- 2018 ‘Unseen Icons by Phil Griffin: 25 Years in Film & Photography’, Brownsword Hepworth, London. Collaboration with Amy Winehouse Foundation and The Prince’s Trust in support of youth programmes.